Sunday, September 6, 2015

Carter Dee Law

Carter's Story
After having Hunter, I couldn't imagine wanting to have another baby.  One seemed plenty to me.  Dayton is always one step ahead of me and would have been fine with another one, but I wasn't ready.  Being a mom is the greatest, but it was one of the hardest transitions I've ever had to do. It was a little after Hunter's first birthday that I decided I wanted another child.  We decided we would start trying and it amazed me how much I wanted another baby! I felt like I wasn't ever going to get pregnant. . . and little did I know I already was. I definitely feel like I got pregnant at the time I was supposed to. Dayton and I have surprised a lot of people. . .  our no kids for five year policy turned into 5 months.  When I got pregnant not too long after Hunter, everyone thought it was another "oops." I just laugh and think life never goes the way we plan, and I'm sure glad it doesn't. 
At the beginning of January, I started feeling funny. I started getting naseous and I thought to myself, I totally know this feeling, but I didn't think it was possible.  I told myself I would wait a few more weeks before I took a pregnancy test because I didn't want to get my hopes up.  Well, I am not the most patient person so I went to the store bought a test and took it the next morning. Sure enough, two pink lines. I was so excited to tell Dayton and I knew he was going to be so surprised! He definitely was, but was really happy.
I will be honest, the pregnancy totally sucked and was so hard the entire 39 weeks. I was constantly nauseous. I could barely eat and I had zero appetite. Oatmeal, fruit, protein shakes, and eggs were basically my diet. I kept waiting to get out of the yucky first trimester, but it just never happened and felt like I was always in a groggy haze. I never felt like myself. 
During my pregnancy, doctor Kirkman was worried was size. I had several ultra sounds throughout the pregnancy and everyone came back completely normal and baby's measurements were right on. My last ultra sound was at 36 weeks. They were worried baby had stopped getting nutrients and wasn't growing. Luckily, that was not the case, but they did find that the cord was wrapped around his neck. At my 38 week appointment, my doctor informed me I was dilated to a 2. He asked me what my plans were. I told him I did not want to be induced and that I wanted to let Carter come on his own. I didn't think I was going to go much earlier than my due date and since my kiddos are never that big, I wanted to wait it out. He then informed me about the cord and suggested that I don't go too much over my due date because the later my pregnancy went, my fluids would drop and could cause complications with the cord. 1 in 4 babies have the cord around the neck. It is a lot more common than you would think and usually doesn't cause any problems.  Had I not had my ultra sound two weeks before, we would have never known.  Dr. Kirkman told me there was a higher risk for a C-section. He wanted to take extra precautions and do stress tests every few days to make sure baby was okay. I had my first stress test the following Friday and after talking with Dayton we both decided it would be better to be induced than to keep waiting to out.  I went to my appointment Friday and everything looked great during the stress test, but I still felt I should be induced. If I was induced that day, I could still be home for Hunter's birthday. My doctor called the hospital that morning and came back and asked, "When is the soonest you can be at the hospital?" I told him I would be there within the hour, I just needed to get a few things together. My friend Natalie was watching Hunter until my mom could come up. I then called Dayton and work, "Are you reading to have a baby today? Can you be at the hospital in 30 mins?" Dayton came home and together we drove to the hospital. It was so weird going to the hospital without being in labor. I felt like I was going to the grocery store to pick up my baby.
They started the induction at noon. Nothing too crazy happened. Dayton and I just hangout and watched movies. Dr. Kirkman came and broke my water at 1:30. I started having more contractions. I got an epidural at 4:00. I was at a 7 and stayed there for about an hour. 15 minutes later I was ready to push. The doctor came in, I pushed twice, and there was my little Carter! The labor was SO much easier than Hunter's and not laboring during the entire night definitely made a difference. I wasn't as tired and I felt like I could actually enjoy the birth.  It was a neat experience.  I was kind of emotional.  I cried a little bit after Carter came. I was overwhelmed with the love that I felt for this little guy. I was so happy to have him here and for him to be healthy and safe. I feel blessed that the delivery went so well and that Carter did so well during the labor. Often times when the cord is around the neck, the baby's heart rate drops and they become too stressed. Carter was a champ throughout the whole thing. This is one tough kid.

Get ready for picture overload.


Carter Dee Law was born Friday August 28 at 5:30 p.m. He weight 6 lbs. 7 oz. and was 19.5 inches long.




Proud Daddy.

 I was able to catch this little smile. . . must have been having some good dreams.

Hunter was able to come see Carter just a few hours after he arrived.  Hunter
loves holding Carter, but doesn't last long because he says, "Carter heavy."



Hunter is definitely a mama's boy and everyone has been worried about how Hunter would react to having a little brother. I have been preparing him for months. We have talked about baby Carter and Hunter loved hugging my belly and giving it kisses. I got Hunter two baby dolls and a stroller and we have been doing everything with the babies- bathing them, putting them to sleep (Hunter likes them to sleep with him in his crib) and pushing them in the stroller. I definitely think everything we've down has helped. He loves his little brother. Last week he picked out two toys at the store for baby Carter.


Hunter loves to give Carter kisses.




I love my two kiddos.
My favorite boys!
So precious.
Grandma Hunter with Carter

Carter's first bath. He wasn't the biggest fan, but when they rubbed his head he was in heaven!
Showing Carter off after his bath Friday night.

Daddy and Carter.

Uncle Bo and Uncle Christian
Carter's blood sugar was low. We kept monitoring and supplementing with formula as a breast fed in order to get it back up. However, it kept dropping so they finally decided to admit Carter to the NICU on Saturday afternoon and gave him an IV to help give him the extra push that he needed. Of course as soon as Carter was admitted, his blood sugar was the highest it had ever been.  He was doing fine, but they will had to go through protocol before he could be released. 



After Carter got released from the NICU at 4:00 a.m. on Sunday, I couldn't wait to be with him. Even though we were able to be in the NICU however much we wanted and I went down there all the time to feed him, it just wasn't the same with him being connected to all the equipment and IV. When they brought him back up to me that morning, we just hangout and I loved it. I couldn't get enough of him and took lots of pictures. His facial expressions were KILLING me!
I love yawns.
Hahahaha.
Carter has the longest tongue I have ever seen.

I LOVE Carter's hair. It's light brown, but has blonde highlights in the light. For some reason his hair looks REALLY blonde in this picture.

We had to keep socks on this boy 24/7. He is quite the scratcher! That poor belly.
Poor guy had to have his feet pricked so many times in the NICU.
 I wanted to buy Carter a new outfit to go home in, since most everything else he will wear are Hunter's clothes. I thought that this outfit was so cute, but little Carter is so tiny! It drowned him and it was still a newborn. I can't get over how little he is. It makes Hunter seem like a GIANT. 



 Ready to go home!
Since Carter was in the NICU my Dad and brothers didn't come up until Sunday evening. Here is Carter with Uncle Preston.
 Uncle Jeff
 Uncle Isaac
 Papa
Uncle Christian
Swaddle Time!
Our cousin Brittany was able to come over to Hunter's birthday and visit with Carter.
On Wednesday Carter had his first doctor appointment. Hunter also had his 2 year old check up.  It was quite the day.  I'm so glad my mom decided to come back up and help me with the appointment.  Carter left the hospital weighing 6 lbs 3 oz and on Wednesday (3 days later) weighed 6 lbs 11 oz. Carter is an eater!
  
I love Carter's hair!
Dayton's family was able to come up this weekend to see Carter.
Aunt Mariah

Grandma Shirlene
Grandpa Dave



































No comments:

Post a Comment