Monday, February 10, 2014

Grandma Hunter

Our sweet grandma passed away January 17, 2014.  This was quite sudden after we had just spent the Christmas holiday with her in Salt Lake. Grandma Fern was known for her infectious smile, a listening ear, warm homemade rolls, her warm laugh, famous sugar cookies, strong example of motherhood, continuous selfless service, Christmas candy, endless loyalty, endless optimism, and firm faith.  Grandma was someone you could talk with and tell everything to.  She was also someone who would do anything for you- from threats to beat up old boyfriends to endless loses of Candyland. She was the ultimate grandmother.  He life was not easy. She raised the family while Grandpa was at the store. She gave up her career to have children, overcame breast cancer, burdened with poor eye site and was pretty much blind when she left, and several broken hips. But this never stopped her.  I remember calling her my freshman year of college while she was undergoing radiation therapy.  I remember I called her to see how she was doing, yet I hung-up feeling I had done most of the talking and had been the one uplifted.  When I asked how she was doing she replied, "Pretty good for only having one boob." Haha. She could always make you laugh no matter the circumstance.  She had a great sense of humor and was always optimistic.  She accomplished a lot in her life- traveling to England, hosting a show on the radio and being a reporter, and working for the Shakespear festival for years is just to name a few.  Nothing was more impressive than her love for her children and grandchildren.  She was an excellent mother and was such an example to me.  When I was deciding to stay at home with Hunter and leave behind my career it was my own mother and Grandma Fern that became my examples.  Grandma had a way of making you feel special. Every grandchild claims their the favorite and when talking with her friends, everyone in Cedar claimed to be her "best" friend.  She just had that special talent. Grandma had a love for Jazz music and instilled that love in her grandchildren.  I was sure glad Hunter got to meet her.
We went to her funeral Saturday January 25.  It was great to spend time with the family and reflect on her legacy.  Everyone was able to attend besides Lauren & Ben in Virginia and Jefferson serving a mission in Korea.  Grandma went how she went and pretty much when she wanted (although she would have preferred almost two years earlier with Grandma Hunter).  That's just the kind of lady she was.  She was very particular about how her funeral was to go.  She wanted mostly music at her funeral and thats what she got. We had a great graveside dedication and then later our family went back and played her favorite Jazz numbers.  I don't know she could have wanted it any other way. Glad she was apart of my life and can't wait to see her again.

Eating lunch together
 Hanging out at the viewing- Nick, Dima, Isaac, Dayton, Kobe, Noah
 Jake & Josh
Jordan, Lisa, Trevor, Brennan, Ryan
 Siblings with the "sisters"
 Brad & Lisa did a sax duet while waiting for everyone to come to the cemetery
 Playing Jazz to finish the day off

Hanging out and listening to some sweet Jazz
Miss you and love you Grandma!





No comments:

Post a Comment