Thursday, January 14, 2021

Thanksgiving at Home

Thanksgiving turned out to be an interesting holiday. It was my family's year to get together, but because of the increase of COVID -19 cases, we decided not to get together. Instead, my mom delivered her famous rolls and fun Thanksgiving packets for the grandkids. We called Isaac and then had a family virtual game night. It turned out really well and everyone had a good time. I was grateful for the games, because it was the only time that day I actually got to sit down.
Fast forward to Thanksgiving morning. Dayton woke up and could not move. He was in so much pain and thought he might need to go to the hospital. His back was hurting so bad he literally couldn't get out of bed. I immediately called my dad (he specializes in backs) and he talked with Dayton over facetime was able to figure out what was going on. A few days earlier, Dayton moved a hundred cement blocks from an old project to our house. He wanted to use them to build a retaining wall. They were getting rid of them and the contractor said Dayton could come get as many as he wanted before they cleared them all out. Of course, Dayton couldn't pass up free materials, so he grabbed a few friends and loaded up several truck and trailer loads of blocks. He did most of the heavy lifting and definitely paid for it. Dayton already has a sore back and had taken a hot bath and used a heat pad the night before. It was the perfect storm to aggravate his back and he was not able to move for three days. No exaggeration. This made Thanksgiving really interesting. I had already pulled the turkey out to defrost, so now I would be in charge of cooking all of Thanksgiving dinner by myself, entertaining kids, helping Dayton, taking care of our litter of puppies. It was a busy and exhausting day. I still wanted to make it fun for the kids, so I planned Thanksgiving activities for them too.

I tried to make the dinner as simple as possible. Luckily, I found a pumpkin pie at the store for just over a dollar! Steal. Luckily, I had made the chocolate pie the nigh before. In our family, those are the only two pies that matter. HAHA. I smoked the turkey all by myself- prepped it all and everything. The boys got a kick out of watching my reactions while handling the raw turkey. BLAH. 
My mom had brought over her rolls a few days before. The boys only like instant potatoes with no gravy. I steamed some green beans and wallah! Thanksgiving was complete.
We had "turkey bowling" inside with the kids. They decorated all the pins to look like turkeys. 
Their turkeys were so cute. They made me laugh. 
Parker's first Thanksgiving!


Thanksgiving is always a rough holiday for me and my food restrictions by I was happy with my turkey and green beans.
Dayton could only lay on his back, or roll over to his stomach, so he got served his dinner on the floor. HAH. He said he felt like one of the dogs.

We covered the table with paper so the boys could color and decorate it. They loved it. They also felt very special with their special drinking glasses. Grandma Hunter sent us straws so that every time someone took a drink, they said something they were grateful for. 
Ready to eat!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment