I was getting the basement ready for an Airbnb guest. I was just finishing up when I noticed one of the basement ceiling tiles were popped up (from electrical work we had been working on the main floor that day). I went to fix it and stood on the edges of the coffee table. It is a wooden table with glass in the center. Somewhere the wood legs had popped out and I feel through the glass. The table was completely broken up and the glass was completely shattered. I looked down and immediately saw puddles of blood. I looked at my leg and saw I was deeply cut. I didn't have my phone and Dayton was upstairs. Luckily the boys were asleep. Because of our white carpet downstairs, I didn't dare move and didn't even know if I would be able to. Definitely not my best moment. I was calm, but started to scream for Dayton because I didn't know if he would ever hear me. Unfortunately he was vacuuming upstairs from the sheetrock patches he was working on and couldn't hear me. I screamed as loud and high as he could and eventually he heard me and came running downstairs. He thought the screaming was coming from our neighbors outside. Dayton helped me get cleaned up a bit and tied a tight rag around my knee. We couldn't see how deep it was because there was so much blood, but knew it was bad. I hobbled up the stairs and into Dayton's truck. We headed to the hospital and called a neighbor to come over and stay with the boys until we could figure out what we were doing. We went to insta care on the way and they are closed, so we went to Utah Valley Hospital. Cayden and Savannah came over and let our neighbor go home. They were nice enough to throw out the table and rug.
We went to the insta care at the hospital just to give it a shot since our insurance isn't great.
They took of my rag and saw the cut and I think the nurse about passed out. She started screaming for other doctors to come. When the doctor came in, he saw my leg and told us to go to the ER. He mentioned we would probably need to see an orthopedic surgeon. We were admitted to the ER. I had hit an artery so it took a minute for the bleeding to stop. Once the bleeding stopped, they took several x rays so make sure there wasn't any glass inside the cut. It looked pretty nasty once the bleeding stopped- we could see the bone. Luckily there wasn't any glass. They numbed it up, which was the worst part. After that they cleaned and stitched the cut. They had to do two layers of stitches- 5 stitches below and 15 stitches to stitch the skin. I miraculously missed my patella and major muscles. It would still be a several month recovery, but I wouldn't need surgery. I felt pretty lucky.
The next day I was extremely sore and could barely walk. Gratefully, my mom offered to help take care of me and the boys. Dayton took me to Murray and we stayed there the rest of the week. I was on crutches for a few days, but then was able to walk on it so I was able to go home. Below are nasty pictures- probably PG 13.

No comments:
Post a Comment