Saturday, June 12, 2021

Hiking the Subway

My dad and I went on a weekend trip together. An employee of his had extra tickets to hike the subway. The plan was to repel down and swim in the pools and the hike out. Well, our drive down to Zion started out like this. . . 
They closed the highway for a bit and made all the cars get off. We passed several wrecks and semis were pulled off all over the road. It was madness. It was a giant blizzard and unfortunately we were in the pass between Fillmore and Beaver- always the worse spot- we were barely moving for about an hour. 
We got to the camp and decided just to sleep in our car. Luckily it was blue skies and no snow, but it wasn't extremely warm. That night were were still debating if we repelled down. We brought our thick wet suits and were prepared either way. We got up early that morning and woke to snow. We decided to just hike in and back instead. I'm SO grateful we made that choice! I'm 100 percent certain someone would have gotten hypothermia. It was freezing!
This is us starting out on the hike. I'm pretty sure I was wearing five layers. . . 

Even though it was a blizzard, it was a stunning hike. The pictures just don't even do it justice. They never do, but the snow and red rock was really beautiful and its a landscape many don't get to see very often. I felt like we got to see the Subway in a whole different light. I was really bummed about not repelling down but it was seriously sooo cold, that it would have been miserable. We would have been swimming in different pools for over 3 hours. Yikes.















Me and my Dad. 😀































We forgot to take a before and after shot. By the end I was down to my last layers, the sun was out with blue skies, most of the snow was melted, and we could actually see the trail! It was an entirely different hike the last few hours.
We drove back to Cedar City that night and visited Lauren at Centro pizza. I had a gluten free pizza crust with vegan cheese and it was the best thing I've had in a long time- especially after a long day of hiking.


I'm so glad I got to on this trip with my dad. It was one I will always remember. I'm pretty sure I haven't spent one on one time with my dad since I've been married. I really enjoyed our time together. I think I will always feel like Daddy's little girl. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment