Sunday, January 12, 2020

Christmas in Mapleton

We got back to Mapleton Christmas Eve, but realized we didn't have anything ready for dinner. Dayton reminded me it was all about simplicity. We asked the kids what they wanted, and they chose chicken nuggets and ramen noodles. Our gourmet meal that they couldn't be happier with.
 The boys got to open their special "Christmas Eve" presents.
 Instead of our traditional PJs, we opted for slippers. It was the BEST purchase. They wear them all the time. 


We talked about the Nativity and the reason we celebrate Christmas-CHRIST. We watched a nativity, popped popcorn, made hot cocoa, and then the boys chose a Christmas movie to watch- Frosty the snowman.






 Our sad attempt at getting a Christmas Eve selfie but the tree.


 Then the boys set out cookies for Santa and put reindeer food out in the yard. We sent the boys to bed and Dayton and I had a nice evening to ourselves. We wrapped gifts, filled stockings, and spent a quiet evening together. It was so nice.
 Christmas morning, the boys woke up ready to open gifts!
We tried to keep this year simple. We have just about every toy a boy would want and when I asked Hunter and Carter what they wanted for Christmas, they weren't able to come up with everything. Clearly, we did not need anymore "stuff." So, this year we focused on "experiences." Even in their stockings, I put in gift cards, a year subscription to the app Epic, jump zone pass, and a coupon book full of fun activities they could do with our family, or passes to get out of jobs. They loved it- especially in the coupon book. They have almost used all the coupons so far. It was the best idea. 



Cooper got a dupo construction lego set from Grandma and Papa Hunter.
Carter got a STEM building kit from Grandma and Papa Hunter.


Hunter's school teacher, Mrs. Ribble, got each student a book for Christmas- I loved it.
Hunter got a new soccer jersey from Grandma and Papa Hunter. He loved it so much he had to put it on right away and he wore it all day on Christmas. Anytime I do laundry, it is the first thing he wants to wear. 
Hunter and Carter exchanging sibling gifts.
I surprised Dayton with a USU quilt from all his old T-shirts. It was my first quilt, and may be my last. It was terrible. I am the worst seamstress and required a lot of help from my mom and Shirlene to get it finished, but I'm glad I finally did it. It is something I've been wanting to make Dayton for years- I just had no idea what I was getting myself into. I started it over Thanksgiving and was able to get it finished just in time for Christmas. It is fun to have and look back at all the t-shirts. Dayton was very appreciative. 
I also surprised Dayton with a lot of hunting gear. He is ready!
two new frames from my parents to hold my new Christ portrait and the Living Christ. They fit our new family room so well. Dayton surprised me with a new robot vacuum. It has been super convenient. Dayton's parents got us a raquleqte set that we are excited to have. It will be fun to invite people over with to use. 
After presents, I surprised the boys with Christmas crepes. Crepes are a coveted food at our house.





Carter loved his new art station.
The boys trying out their new nerf gun vests. They are hilarious. 
We were lucky to have it snow on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day so they boys took advantage of the fresh snow and went sledding with Dayton all afternoon while I got a nap. It was perfect.






They came home and we made hot cocoa and played a bunch of Hunter's new games. I thought we needed to up our game after our sad Christmas Eve dinner so we smoked salmon (the salmon the boys caught in Flaming Gorge this summer- my absolute favorite) and Dayton's elk steaks. It was a yummy Christmas dinner.


Hunter recently started reading to Cooper and it has been the best thing. How cute are they?

It was seriously my favorite Christmas. I so enjoyed spending time with our little family and soaking up every moment. It was our first year celebrating in Mapleton with just our family and it was perfect. I just loved it. Our kids are in such a fun stage where they are excited about everything and it makes it so fun. They remind me that it is all about the little things in life. Christmas is magical for them right now and I know it doesn't last long so I just enjoyed every moment. 







































































No comments:

Post a Comment