I went to Murray to finish Daytons quilt I was making him for Christmas. I was only gone an hour when I get a text from Dayton, "call me ASAP. . . you're going to hate me."Thinking the house had burned down or a child broke a leg or something, I called him immediately. He then informed me we were now the proud honors of a 1975 motor home. "WHAT?!? 1975? What did you buy a motor home?" It was not what I expected. He then told me he had been on the state of Utah's end of year auction site and bought the motor home for $300. I then told him that just because we COULD buy something doesn't mean we SHOULD. What are we going to do with a motor home? I hung up and kind of laughed. Very unlike Dayton to make an irrational, hasty purchase. Then I thought it could be pretty fun and make traveling with kids easier. I told Dayton I didn't want to camp this summer with a nursing baby that probably would still be waking up in the night. The motor home would be a much better option. I called him back later that night and told him it would be fun to take to Bear Lake. He was appalled. "Take to Bear Lake? We can't drive it that far. I don't trust it." Wait a minute, we bought a motor home that we don't want to drive? That didn't make sense. I was then less than pleased with the idea of this clunker sitting in our driveway and not being used.
Dayton had to pick the motor home up a few days later. He had a coworker take him to North Salt Lake after they had finished some meetings downtown. Having never seen the motor home or seen the inside, we weren't sure what to expect. We thought it would start, but we really weren't even sure it would run. Luckily it started right up and Dayton started the long trek back to Mapleton. He said he was super sketchy- the breaks didn't work well, there wasn't any heat or air conditioner, the defroster didn't really work, and it was just an old vehicle. He didn't dare go on the freeway- sure that a tire would blow- and so it took him FOREVER to get home. He finally called me around 4 (this now being an all day affair) and told me it had broken down in Provo. He was stranded on University near the old Provo High School. He thought he was out of gas- thinking the gage was off or that there was a leak seeing he had already filled it up once before driving home. I piled the kids in the car and we got the gas can to Dayton. He put it in and then tried to start it and it still wouldn't start. After several tries, he got in our car and we took him to his office to get his truck. He thought he would probably need to call a tow truck but a this point didn't want to keep or bother with it and decided to donate the motorhome for a tax write off.
Dayton went back the next day and it was still there. He started it up and it actually worked. Dayton drove it to a site and donated it.
The boys were so bummed they never got to go inside. All in all it made for a funny story. Dayton claims he just needed a little adventure in his life.




No comments:
Post a Comment